Thursday, February 10, 2011

Vegetarian Lentil Chili






After much searching for a delicious vegetarian chili that didn't seem like 'chili-flavored vegetable soup', I finally found a recipe in the BHG magazine that I LOVE. 







 
I tweeked it a little, so here's my version:

BIG-BATCH VEGETARIAN LENTIL CHILI
2 28oz cans diced tomatoes (I pulse mine in the food processor because I don't like chunky tomatoes in my chili.)
1lb dried red kidney beans (washed, soaked and cooked according to package directions)
2 bell peppers, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
2 cups dry lentils, any color, rinsed and drained
3 cups water or vegetarian vegetable broth, or a combination of both
1/4 cup chili powder (or more!)
2 Tbsp. garlic powder (I also add minced garlic)
1 8oz can tomato sauce
1 6oz can tomato paste
Salt and black pepper, to taste


  • In a large pot combine undrained tomatoes, drained (cooked) kidney beans, water or broth (I use 1 1/2 cups water and 1 1/2 cups broth), bell peppers, onions, dry lentils, chili powder and garlic powder.   Bring to boiling, reduce heat;  Simmer, covered, until lentils are tender, stirring occasionally.  About 45 minutes.
  • Stir in tomato sauce, tomato paste, and black pepper. Add salt if necessary. Add more broth or water if necessary. Heat through.



 
I top mine with shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream.  Which of course, makes it not vegetarian.  (grin)

p.s.
This makes a HUGE batch, so be prepared to share it or enjoy it for a few days.

1 comment:

  1. This looks good! I am nervous about using dried beans rather than canned, but I know I should. Is it hard to cook the beans?

    ReplyDelete